Swag reccomendations

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:03
ThreadID: 71795 Views:7540 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good swag. I want something straight forward to use good built in roll up mattress, fly screen vents at either end prefer one with a higher roof or A frame and $200~$250. I have a big camping tent for 2+ nights so this is just for crashing in when on the road, you know what I mean?
The problem is that there are zillions of swags on the net with all fancy designs and prices and really I just want something that will do the job of keeping flies and rain out and help you get a a good comfortable nights sleep, you know?
I saw one some where that was a 2 pole design A frame and you could either use the pole or tie the rope to the roof rack or a tree. Had a nice thick mattress well vented. I remember in the add they were saying don't go for the moon roof swags as you just become target practice for bats!
Anyone know what brand that was?
Cheers
C.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:51

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:51
We have 2 Burke and Wills Coolabah dome swags, Aussie made.

We have replaced the foam mattresses with Thermarest ones.
AnswerID: 380542

Follow Up By: Member - BUNDY BOY (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 18:20

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 18:20
i agree ....burke n wills. have a single and a double...for when i get lucky ...easy heaps of room .and got up one morning ....was in 4 inches of water ..not a drop inside ..
Bundy
FollowupID: 647948

Reply By: you eat the bear - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 16:33

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 16:33
I think you need to add about $100 to your budget for a decent canvas swag.
I know you probably don't want ti buy another tent but... have you also considered that in the time taken to unpack, unroll and insert assorted frames in these "fancy" swags, you could have pegged out and put up a center pole tent and started on your first (or even your second) beverage?
A basic swag with mozzie net if you need it is maybe the go.

AnswerID: 380562

Follow Up By: Member - Brenton W (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 22:00

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 22:00
Iam with you, it doesnt take long to put up a 2 man tent 5 minutes, a 4 WD matt and a good sleeping bag and your done. Plus you can stand up and get dressed in the morning and fit 2 in it with comfort.
FollowupID: 648009

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 19:01

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 19:01
Yes, I would agree you wouldn't get a "good swag" for $250.

The extra $100 or so will get you one that has a high density ripple foam matress and this is necessary for absolute comfort.

Don't try to "penny pinch" when choosing your swag.
A good one will give you a lifetime of comfort.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 380578

Follow Up By: Member - Clay S (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 21:42

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 21:42
Sand Man do you have a swag in mind when you suggest $350?
FollowupID: 648004

Follow Up By: Member - Clay S (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 21:47

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 21:47
I think the one I saw before was the True Blue Swags "Clancy".
FollowupID: 648005

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 22:17

Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 22:17
Clay,

There are several good quality swags on the market.

We own a pair of Down Under Jumbuck XL which we have had for 9 years and they are still as comfortable as when we first used them.

Last year we purchased the current version of the same swag for our son and payed $399 for it. A "similar" swag was available for $100 less, but just laying on each of them on the shop's concrete floor soon highlighted the difference in a premium high density ripple mattress of 60mm thickness that we chose.

Other features such as the XL (extra width) and full hoop style with leather corners, 15oz top cotton canvas and 17 oz bottom polyester base will give a premium quality swag that should last a lifetime, but of course you will pay a premium price.

Basically, look at the features you require such as hoop style, side or top entry, shooters window behind your head, extra room, as provided by the XL size and choose the brand that gives you the best quality, at the best price.

We often use our swags just as a mattress inside our tent, or at home as bedding for "sleep over" guests and have received great feed back from our friends who have slept on them.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 648173

Reply By: Karen & Geoff - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 19:52

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 19:52
We both have a Burke and Wills "Simpson Swag". I dont think you can go past them. They are $599, but you getyou pay for. We used ours across the Simpson for 2 weeks and even in the rain, you stay as dry as can be. Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 380589

Reply By: warfer69 - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 20:46

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 20:46
Ive had my Redgum Double for awhile now,wasn't happy with a few things back then but they fixed it without question and implemented some of my suggestions in the newer models,was mainly to do with water..This company really stands by there product.They bake there own canvas etc etc

I also put Dunlop egg cup foam on top of the mattress that was supplied

Some pics of my Swag Here under Burke N Wills
AnswerID: 380606

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 20:51

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 20:51
Oh Yeah if you look at this picture My Oztrail Single Swag you'll notice an extendable pole.I use it for the double too and no need for ropes to trip over,or for anyone else for that matter,plus if you want to move the swag you just drag it to another spot.Keeps the middle of the swag off your body and keeps it all nice and tight from one end to the other.It does not make any difference getting in and out in my opinion..
FollowupID: 647988

Reply By: BenDiD - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 22:12

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2009 at 22:12
Hi Clay,

I think you'll need to spend around $350 to get a good quality swag with decent canvas that will be waterproof.

I swear by Sunset Canvas' swags. I have a "deluxe style" with a PVC base. Great for muddy / damp conditions. Quality canvas on top. Despite the name its a basic style with a zip down one side. It has a lug at the top end so you can use a guy rope to hold up the top if you like a bit more room bit without having to fiddle with poles. You can also attach an insect screen / flap or storm flap to the top as well.

Its served me well over the years and I have just bought one for my daughter.

Good Luck!

Ben
AnswerID: 380627

Sponsored Links